Well, for the most part. <3
Update March 25, 2008: Hay Reedies, friend me nao plzkthx.
Update March 27, 2008: But tell me who you are so I don't freak out. <3
- Tags:friends only
- Music:"The Days Go By Oh So Slow" - Nightmare of You
I am drunk, and Ball was Ball except with more dancing! i'm having difficulty typing, you don't even know. It went well! There were amazing things and lol-tastic things but whatevs not my problem anymore!
Music - awesome
Peformances - almost completely awesome
Organization- not so much but that's because I didn't make expectations clear aghhasdfkjasldjf. I will leave the sketch book to Kathleen and be a consultant, but yikes, Ball is a logistical nightmare. :P
People helping me: TOTALLY AWESOME. Set-up and nickpicky things were so not awful because I know wonderful people and I love them. Kathleen, Cat, and Courtney, ILU foreverrrrrr.
'Kay, drunk me, signinng out with some typos but whatever.
Sometimes I wonder why the fuck I bother. For the most part we're amazing together, but sometimes I'm the best fucking girlfriend and he decides to be the worst fucking boyfriend.
I also know that I'm projecting or that there's some sort of bias there, but fuck psychology, I'm upset.
I am FINALLY done with classes... since watching a movie in Psychopathology tomorrow doesn't count.
Renn Fayre is in the air, and it smells like champagne and rainbows. :D
So this is the comment I posted on this NY Times article.As a rising Junior currently attending Reed College, it saddens me to read the responses to this article that are detracting attention away from the positive qualities of this school. Alums, students, and other supporters have already touched upon its reputation for high grading standards, the percentage of students who go on to achieve graduate degrees, and the higher-than-average number of individuals who hail from Reed that become Rhodes and Fullbright scholars. To be quite frank, it is an excellent school, and those who claim that it "isn't very good anyway" are sorely mistaken.
I'm an ethnically and socially diverse recipient of Reed financial aid, and I am anxiously awaiting the letter that will tell me if I will continue to scrape by or if I will have to go deeper into debt. My parents have already taken out a second mortgage, but they continue to encourage me to reach for the stars and learn as much as I can. As an only child, I will inherit this debt, but it is a sacrifice I am willing to make, considering that I am determined to achieve my career aspirations. It may not be a very financially pragmatic choice, considering the cost of attendance, but the value of the education I am receiving here is priceless to me.
I don't want to be educated "well enough" to get into a decent graduate program. I don't want to settle for a school that doesn't suit my learning style. I want to be surrounded with other passionate, determined, and admittedly stressed out students who share the same driving curiosity and desire for knowledge that I do. I feel like I've learned as much from my peers as I have learned from my professors, and that is invaluable to me. Reedies benefit not only from the professorial staff and the academic resources, but also from the knowledge that our colleagues bring in from their various backgrounds, and I would not sacrifice that for a less-expensive university any day.
These are my priorities; few of you will share them, but that's okay. Do what works for you, but I request that you keep in mind that people value education in different ways.
It's all worth it to me. Love Reed.
Tomorrow is Renn Fayre, and I have my uber sparkly costume made of win. :D
I AM SO EXCITED OMGOMGOMG.
What's been around since the Dawn of Time (this year's theme)?
-Gaia from Captain Planet
Any other ideas? I need a costume by the end of the week. =3 I'm leaning towards Cher, meself.
Step 1: Put your itunes on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 22 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing.
Step 3: Strike through the songs when someone guesses both artist and track correctly.
Step 4: For those who are guessing -- looking the lyrics up on a search engine is CHEATING!
Step 5: If you like the game post your own.
1. "We come from the land of the ice and snow..." 2. "How can you see into my eyes, like open doors..."
3. "Hush now baby don't you cry, rest your wings my butterfly..."
4. "I'm limited, just look at me, I'm limited..."
5. "I'm a creature born to fight, I'm a screecher in the night..."
6. "I'm bringing sexy back..." (TOO OBVIOUS!) 7. "Don't waste your touch, you won't feel anything..."
8. "Nos univers, à contre courant..."
9. "Maybe if my heart stops beating, it won't hurt this much..."
10. "Oh, Johnny wishes he was famous, spends his time alone in the basement..."
11. "I remember when you used to be mine, way back when..."
12. "Feeling blue, I'm thinking of you, oh I was a fool to let you walk away..."
13. "Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry, you don't know how lovely you are..." 14. "Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with Jane..."
15. "Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals..."
16. "Ah, look at all the lonely people..." 17. "It's astounding, time is fleeting, madness takes control..." 18. "Ooohh baby do you know what that's worth?"
19. "Sat on a roof, and I kicked off the moss..."
20. "Are you ready? If you ain't got no money take yo' broke ass home!" 21. "Check my coat in and I paid a dollar..." 22. "Another head hangs lowly, child is slowly taken..."
So, I'm the biggest ho of all my friends... well, except for TC, but it's socially acceptable for men to be in touch with their sexuality, and HEAVEN FORBID that women ever know what they want then actively pursue it. SIN AND FIRE AND BRIMSTONE AND SHIT LIKE THAT.
Really, I don't give a fuck about it anymore.
As I told Chpest, I am thinking about becoming a sex therapist, because I like talking about sex and relationships, I like listening to people, I like giving advice, and I like encouraging people to make their own, well thought-through decisions.
Actually, I think that all women should be in touch with their sexuality, because really, I know tons of people who are fucked up because of what society tells them. We're taught that our bodies have to be perfect, and anything more than an 18.1 BMI, anything larger than a stick-thin frame, and anything that remotely resembles an "imperfection" means we're UGLY and IMPERFECT and NOT AS GOOD AS THOSE GIRLS ON THE COVER OF VOGUE (who've all been airbrushed to death anyway).
Yes, I am turning into Owen Meany and have a capslock fetish.
Women have hangups about their bodies because we get mixed messages. Cosmo tells us to look voluptuous and sex-kittenish and svelte, Vogue tells us to be anorexic and doll-like, Religion tells us to stay 'innocent' and 'pure', Politics tell us that we have no fucking right to affordable birth control and if we get pregnant, we should keep the kids whether it's our fault or not, and Men... well, that really depends on the man. Most guys want love and meaningful relationships, and if he loves you, he'll be attracted to you and he'll want you. Guaranteed. It's the minority of superficial assholes that cause problems. The ones who only want the "Hot Chick" so his friends'll be jealous and he can feel validated. You know the kind. And since you've invariably interacted with a few men like this in your life, you'll feel even more pressured to be fit this impossible model of perfection because he's a "REAL GUY" and therefore, is "REAL PROOF" that you should conform to his standards.
Fuck that shit.
Everyone is beautiful. Sure, we all have our bad hair days, but every single woman has something special, something that makes her wonderful in a unique way. This something differs in everyone, and sometimes it seems unfair because certain people seem to have more somethings that just happen to fit societal standards, but who the hell cares, models are genetic mutants anyway.
I'm just sick of low self esteem. I'm sick of being ashamed of how I was born, what I like, who I fucking am. I'm sick of feeling like I have to compete with other women because "Oh, she's so much thinner than I am" or "Oh, she's so talented" or "Oh, she's just perfect". Fuck that. I am awesome. I am an intelligent woman, I am fabulous and I know what the hell I'm doing. Yes, I have flaws. Yes, I hate wearing swim suits and I wish my thighs had that space between them when I stand with my feet together, but you know what? My flaws make me real. And yeah, sure, I'm going to strive to be better (no Freshman 15 for me, thank you very much), but I'm not going to kill myself trying to look different. I don't feel like being obsessed with others' opinions about me anymore. If I do something, it's going to be because I want to.
This is why I'm going to try to be more open about myself. My wants, my feelings, my opinions... everything. If I see something wrong with the people I interact with, I'm going to open my mouth and say it. I'm not going to be scared of what people think of me anymore, even my friends, because they don't decide how I act or who I am. I encourage anyone who reads this to think about what I say, then think carefully about what YOU believe. Writing these power-entries helps me to focus but keep it real at the same time
It's time to reiterate:
1. Every woman should understand her body and her sexuality. If that means buying a vibrator (or 5), go for it; if that means (safe, I hope) pre-marital sex, go you; if that means waiting for the right person, fantastic. Different things work for different women, and that being said...
2. I don't think people should judge others based on appearances, relationships or sexuality. There's more to each woman than just the way she goes about doing things, if you know what I mean, and what works for you might SUCK for your BFFLNMWHUDDUSLYLAS.
3. You're fucking gorgeous. Deal with it.
4. If he loves you, that means he loves all of you (this is more for my own reference than anything else), although he might get irritated with your hangups after a while which is why you should...
5. Work at improving your attitudes and constantly reevaluate your perceptions.
Body: NINE last things you did -
9. last place you were: my room
8. last cigarette: never
6. last movie watched: Sweeney Todd at Ward
5. last phone call: Scott
4. last cd played: Cherubini's Requiem
3. last BUBBLE bath: back during Fall break
2. last time you cried: today
1. last alcohol drink: some red wine with dinner two nights ago
EIGHT have you evers --
8. have you ever dated someone twice: yup
7. have you ever been cheated on: no
6. have you ever kissed someone: yes
5. have you ever kissed someone you regret: no
4. have you ever fallen in love: yes :D
3. have you ever lost someone: yeah
2. have you ever been depressed: yeah
1. have you ever been drunk and thrown up: no, and I'm keeping it that way
SIX things you did in the past three days --
1. Went to school: I WISH. *misses Reed*
2. Went to work: nope
3. Colored: a card for my grandma two days ago
4. Did HW: no
5. Got drunk: not yet
6. Slept: All the time.
list FOUR people you can tell pretty much anything to --
list THREE favorite colors --
list TWO things you want to do before you die -
1. Achieve the greatest attainable happiness (fuck you, Plato)
2. Make my dreams come true
So Far in '07 I have:
been to school- yes.
made a new friend- yes.
fallen out of love- no.
done something you swore never to do- Oh boy is that a "hell yes"
laughed until you cried- yes.
went behind your parents back- Lots.
cried over an ex- Hell no.
disappointed someone close- I do that at least once a week, dude.
pretended to be happy- All the time.
kept your new years resolution- I don't make them, as a rule.
forgot your new years resolution- see above
met someone who changed your life- Two someones: one who comforts me and one who aggravates the crap out of me.
changed your outlook on life- Oh boy yes.
left the province- Um, I don't live in a province... but yes?
lost someone- Lots of someones, but that's okay.
gotten close to someone- More than would be appropriate, but yes.
streaked- Uh, no.
given up something important to you- My morals.
Found out who your true friends were- I think so.
gotten really drunk- Nope, not yet.
kissed someone on the lips- Uh... yeah. :D
Q 01: is there a person who is on your mind right now?
A 01: Always
Q 02: where is the last place you went?
A 02: The Hawai'i Prince hotel... Mmmm, good food.
Q 03: who is the last person you called?
A 03: Scott
Q 04: what means the most to you right now?
A 04: Seeing my friends, then getting off this damn rock and going home.
Q 05: do you have any siblings?
A 05: Nope
Q 06: do you smile often?
A 06: Not... really...?
Q 07: do you think that someone is thinking about you right now?
A 07: I know someone's thinking about me.
Q 08: do you wish on stars?
A 08: Provided I can see them.
Q 09: do you untie your shoes every time you take them off?
A 09: Hell no.
Q 10: when did you last cry?
A 10: today
Q 11: do you like your handwriting?
A 11: My handwriting's pretty ghetto, but I'm fond of it I s'pose.
Q 12: are you a friendly person?
A 12: I'm really socially awkward and I can't remember names for the life of me, but if you're a geek, we'll get along.
Q 13: who's bed did you sleep in last night?
A 13: My own... and while it's comfy, I miss dorm beds...
Q 14: what color shirt are you wearing?
A 14: black. Surprise surprise.
Q 15: do you have any pets?
A 15: Tiger (cat); Cap'n Jack Sparrow (ginormous comet goldfish); Skye (crazy budgie)
Q 16: what is the color of your bedsheets?
A 16: White and navy. 400 count babyyyyy.
Q 17: What were you doing at 9 last night?
A 17: Um... emo-ing?
Q 18: I can't wait until...
A 18: January 19th.
Q 19: is tom on your friends list?
A 19: Holy shit, I forgot about myspace.
Q 20: look to your right. what's there?
A 20: Gold velvet pillow
Q 21: ever cried yourself to sleep?
A 21: Plenty of times.
Q 22: ever cried on your friend's shoulder?
A 22: Not literally, but all the time.
Q 23: any song that makes you cry?
A 23: the finale from Les Mis. OH MY GOD.
Q 24: are you normally a happy person?
A 24: Yeah, pretty much.
Q 25: has anyone ever said "I love you" to you?
A 25: Yes, and half the time it puts me through the wringer.
Q 26: is your self-esteem extremely low?
A 26: TOTALLY.
1. Are you currently mad at someone?: Not really anymore... I'm just confused, but that isn't new with him.
2. Which of your friends has the worst temper?: Chpest. HOLY SHIT, watch out. :D
3. Have you ever thrown something at anyone?: I throw stuff at people all the time.
4. Does your face turn red when you're angry?: Yes.
5. When you're mad do you prefer to stare angrily or yell and scream? I seethe and glower and sulk and bitch on LJ.
1. Has anyone ever thrown you a suprise party?: Never, unfortunately. I've always wanted one. :(
2. Are you easily excited?: Oh yes.
3. What event is coming up that you're most excited about? PAIDEIA!
4. Which of your friends gets you the most excited?: Poosh and Jenn
5. If you won a million dollars what would be your first thought?: "Yay, this should JUST cover my post-secondary education costs!"
6. If you could have anything right now, what would it be?: Cuddles.
1. Name?: Lara
2. Where were you born?: Honolulu
3. What's your main goal in life?: Good question...
4. Do you want to have children?: Preferably one- a boy
5. How do you want to die?: honorably... with much time. (I couldn't resist)
1. Sex before marriage?: Uh, DUH.
2. Gay Marriage?: Hells yeah.
3. Lowering the drinking age?: Yes, and reconfiguring our culture to be able to handle it.
4. Capital Punishment?: no.
6. Recycling?: "Recycle that bottle, or I'll recycle your face."
1. Straight, Gay, Bi?: straight
2. Do you have a crush?: No.
3. Who is the best hugger that you know?: Tia Kawa'a.
4. Do you believe in Love at first sight: I believe in Lust at first sight. Love comes later.
Okay... well, not popular, as like... two of you asked... but yeah. :p
01. Dragostea Din Tei
Comments: Everytime I listen to this song, two memories come to mind. One of them is of that last night in Paris and the other is of watching that kid from NJ shaking his groove thang for the whole world to see. Both memories are held close to my heart.
02. Prendre Racine
Comments: French poprock at its best. The song starts off nice and mellow, but then gets more interesting as it progresses.
Artist: The Dresden Dolls
Album: The Dresden Dolls
Comments: This is a rather slow, quiet song... I mostly like it for the lyrics instead of the music itself.
04. 月千一夜 (tsuki sen'ichiya)
Album: Promised Land
Comments: Four words: J-pop Cirque du Soleil.
05. Mirror (MARS Version)
Comments: I would love this song only for that weird "Nya nya!" sound in the beginning, but overall, it's pretty fungasmic. :D
Album: D R I V E - GLAY complete BEST
Comments: And while I'm in a J-rock mood, I'm going to make good on my promise to addict everyone in the world to GLAY, because it is Teh Good™. I loveloveLOVE Teru's vocals, and Takuro's guitar riffs are fantastic.
07. Over the Rainbow (Piano version)
Artist: the TRAX
Comments: OHGODalskdjf;as;wsedjwasdf. Everyone knows about the Trax, but you know what? I don't care. I'm spreading the love even more. Just... gahhh... such beautiful vocals and melodies and alsdkjfaLOVE. And of course, they're produced by Yoshiki, who is an ex-member of X-Japan (the GREATEST J-rock band of all time IMOP), so they're automatically awesome.
- Music:"Tears [TRAX version]" - the TRAX
Is it Nov. 18th YET????????
Actually, what I'm most looking forward to is THIS:
Mmmmmboy. I don't care if he's in his 40's, he's DAMN SEXY, so stfu. If people can fall in lust with Johnny Depp and Viggo Mortensen, then I
can certainly oogle Jason Isaacs. It's his VOICE and his fucking CREEPY eyes and his sneer and OMG. *dies*
Duuude, when I see the movie, I'm going to be SQUEE-ING the entire fucking time.
The Dante's Inferno Test has banished you to the Seventh Level of Hell!
Here is how you matched up against all the levels:Take the Dante's Inferno Hell Test
- Music:"Lost In Time And Space" - Euromotion
Because I'm too lazy to post these in my icon journal, they will go here. Rules are simple. Comment and credit. Yeah. If you don't follow these rules I will hunt you down and keeeeel you. No exceptions, even for people on my flist.Harry Potter
It's sad really, how immature and naively cruel some people can be. I like to expect better from my peers, but I suppose it's a little too much to expect him to understand. I have very little respect for people who insult another person's appearance, and until they grow out of that disgusting habit, I refuse to listen to the proof of their own insecurity clawing its way to the surface. It's pitiful, and I'm glad I'm seeing it now instead of later.
Everyone's beautiful in their own way, and in my opinion, people who can't see that or focus on the bad aspects of a person's visage are horrible people. Yes, it's human nature to judge, but if one purposely insults another in the presence of others, I think that's inexcusable. I think than insulting another person is just a method of letting their own self-loathing and poor self-esteem out, because they have no constructive means of getting rid of it. Either that, or they don't have the personal STRENGTH and MORAL FIBER to learn and grow into better people.
Those who constantly whine about the crappy things that happen in their lives and begrudge others for the gifts they were given are lowly, pitiful (sons of) bitches. A girl I knew and went to school with for seven years (she followed me around and I couldn't stand her) was of this disposition, and I met her a few weeks ago to find that she's STILL like that. Some people never grow out of this horrible habit, but I HOPE for the sake of your fucking SOUL and GOOD KARMA that you do.
I had bad self-esteem. In fact, I think I still do. But I know that deep down, I am a FANTASTIC person and I am damn well worth half the tea in China. Sure, confidence will always be a problem for most people, but at least I have enough to keep me going, enough to keep me looking forward to my future.
My greatest inspiration was actually a boy in sixth grade, who said something incredibly memorable to me that I still hold close to my heart. I'm not going to say what it was, probably because my selfish desires to be the only one to benefit from his words are showing through, but I'll say that it did affect me in numerous ways, all of them good. I don't know if it was the wisdom of a particularly observant young man or just a fluke, but I do know that I'll always remember those words.
So what's the moral of the story? DON'T HURT OR INSULT OTHERS JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A SHITTY LIFE. Stiffen that upper lip, remain open to the wisdom and experiences of life, and for god's sakes,
GROW THE FUCK UP.
- Mood:bitchily disappointed
- Music:"Chop Suey" - System of a Down
I'm currently researching my topic for my opinion speech, which is about why religious tolerance and its importance in today's society. My main point is that it's the major cause of war (next to sheer stupidity) and we as humans can never be truly united if we bitch about other peoples' gods. Now I'm a good little Episcopalian girl (It's Catholic Lite! I swear) but I honestly think it's every person's choice to believe in whichever god(dess) that appeals to him or her. Is it so wrong to want to have some fucking PEACE finally? Is it so wrong to promote tolerance and understanding? No. Of course not. Every human being has the inherent right to be what they want to be; no more, no less. Catholic, Judaist, Mormon, Episcopalian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, Atheist, Deist... It doesn't matter so long as we act civilized towards each other. Just... no fanatics. >_<
Of course I have a lot of personal bias in this topic, but we'll save that story for another day.
Any suggestions on evidence to support my thesis? Some feedback would be most appreciated. ^_~
- Music:Alex rapping about random stuff